Is horse dentistry for me?
If you came to this page, you are seriously considering horse dentistry as a career path for you. Louis wants to support your decision making process by providing an honest checklist to see if horse dentistry could be right for you. He has no interest in educating as many students as possible. It is his concern to serve the horse and horse owner by providing his very best education for those who bring the potential and the willingness to be dedicated, top-level horse dentists.
Your potential doesn’t mainly depend on your professional background. Our former successful students have included veterinarians, farriers, acupuncturists and physiotherapists as well as “just horse people”. It may also interest you that you can comfortably learn and enter the field of horse dentistry without giving up your present position.
The more of the questions below you can spontaneously answer with “yes”, the more likely horse dentistry is a promising and rewarding career for you.
- Do you like horses?
- Is it your desire to help horses?
- Are you willing and able to work hard physically?
- Do you have horse handling skills?
- Do you have the courage to learn to enter the horse’s mouth with your hand?
- Can you handle blood on/around you?
- Can you handle stress?
- Are you willing to learn and to keep learning?
- Are you willing to follow a well-founded concept?
- Are you good with people? Do you have strong interpersonal skills?
- Can you motivate yourself?
- Are you open-minded? Open to new ideas and other people’s opinions?