Being a successful Horse Dentist
If your clients recommend you and come back to you, that’s sure proof that you are a successful horse dentist! But how do you get there, besides ensuring a good education? The following list summarizes Louis’ practical experience:
- Do good work!
- Practice gentle cooperative horsemanship, exercise self-control on physical restraints on the horse and on yourself.
- Create a calm and enjoyable work atmosphere
- Let go of “I know” and adapt open-mindedness to keep learning
- Educate horse people on the basics of equine dentistry
- Follow up after a treatment to see how the horse is doing and handle any possilbe problems
- Quote price after your thorough inspection but before starting the treatment
- Have access to the support you may need: veterinarian knowledge or a second opinion in difficult cases
- Take further education in different fields about the horse and about dentistry
- Get certified and have visible proof of your qualification
- Be in a network and where available join a professional organization